Wednesday, June 9, 2010

"I like that I have ADHD": Speaking into the narrative of our childrens' lives

Ever have one of those amazing conversations with your kids?  The ones you have when you least expect it, doing the most ordinary things?  The ones that remind you that you, in many ways, have as much to learn from your child as they do from you?  A few years ago, I had just such a conversation with my then eight year old.  And, as they so often do, this conversation happened in our mini-van, just driving down the street (it's a very strange thing, but we almost always have the BIG talks in our van: salvation, sex, baptism,  and even anarchy-but I'll share that one another time).  From the seat behind me came these words:       
                                     "I like that I have ADHD."

He then proceeded to list all the things he liked about himself that could be attributed to having ADHD:
  -I have a lot of energy.
  -I am creative.
  -I'm a good problem solver.
  -I notice things that not very many other people do.
I agreed that these things were in true.  Then I asked him how he knew these things about himself.  His response? "You told me." I did?

While I could (and may) write a posting about how "able" kids (and adults) with ADHD are, that's not what I learned through this conversation with our son. What I was reminded of was this: the influence we have over our child's narrative.

When our boys each received their respective diagnoses, it was important to my husband and I that we help them understand first of all that there is nothing "wrong" with them, but rather that they have some challenges that we as a family, along with their teachers, doctors and counselors, we're going to help them learn to live and succeed with. The reality is that most children who have ADHD will not "outgrow it", as was previously believed (hence the recent upsurge in adult diagnoses as medical and mental health professionals are beginning to recognize that this is not just a children's issue), so they need to be aware that these challenges will affect them long term. However, we also wanted them to know that ADHD has also contributed to many of their strengths and so, in that way, is a gift. As with so many of the hurdles in life, this comes with challenges and blessings.  Our prayer is that God truly helps them "hear" these things.

Our child's "story" (or our own, for that matter) does not start when they 30 or 25 or 18.  In Psalm 139, we are told that God knows everyone's story, intimately, even before we are created:
                              
              "All the days ordained for me
               were written in your book
               before they even came to be." (vs. 16, NIV)

Our children's narrative is a life long sculpting by them and God, and yet we, as parents are called to play a critical role as collaborators in that story.  He chose to put this child in our lives. As we are awed and overjoyed, exhausted and impatient, humbled and overwhelmed, God comes along side and reminds us in little and big ways, that we are helping to shape our child's story. 

I can so easily get bogged down in the ways I may have spoken impatience and frustration, monotony and mediocrity, criticism and complaint into my child's life.  It is important to recognize these things, address them and seek forgiveness for them. It is equally important to recognize those times, when God reminds us of the good, that by his grace working through us, despite our sinful nature, we have breathed into our child's story.  Most of all, we need to remember how our influence helps shape our child's story.  My prayer is that it will keep them coming back to God's story.

No comments:

Post a Comment